Your car’s starting and charging system is made up of a number of different components and is responsible for starting your vehicle, recharging the battery after starting and supporting electrical loads when running. Here is how it works:
- The BATTERY supplies power to start the engine and power the car’s electronics.
- The BATTERY CONNECTIONS are cables and terminals that carry power to the starter and electronics.
- The STARTER provides mechanical energy to start the engine.
- The ALTERNATOR charges the battery and powers electronics while the engine is running.
- The ACCESSORY DRIVE BELT drives the alternator and any other device with a connected pulley.